23 Jan 2018

, ,

Book Review / The Song is Rising by Samantha Shannon


To avoid spoilers, below is the description for book 1, The Bone Season:

The year is 2059. Nineteen-year-old Paige Mahoney is working in the criminal underworld of Scion London, based at Seven Dials, employed by a man named Jaxon Hall. Her job: to scout for information by breaking into people’s minds. For Paige is a dreamwalker, a clairvoyant and, in the world of Scion, she commits treason simply by breathing.

It is raining the day her life changes for ever. Attacked, drugged and kidnapped, Paige is transported to Oxford – a city kept secret for two hundred years, controlled by a powerful, otherworldly race. Paige is assigned to Warden, a Rephaite with mysterious motives. He is her master. Her trainer. Her natural enemy. But if Paige wants to regain her freedom she must allow herself to be nurtured in this prison where she is meant to die.

The Bone Season introduces a compelling heroine and also introduces an extraordinary young writer, with huge ambition and a teeming imagination. Samantha Shannon has created a bold new reality in this riveting debut.


Published:     7th March 2017
Publisher:  Bloomsbury
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Book 3, The Bone Season
Source:  Bought



MY REVIEW

I loved this book.  As this is book 3 in The Bone Season series there is a lot that I can't talk about because I don't want to spoil this for you but what I can say is that this book is action packed.  Annoyingly, this book gave me a lot more questions than answers but that was what I expected being that this is not a last book in a series. 

The first half of this book was very slow paced and I did wonder whether that was going to pick up and it did, which I was glad of.  If this book had not have picked up pace I would not have given it the star rating that I did.  I was also surprised by how much I remembered from the first two books in this series.  This series has many characters and parts to it I thought I would find it hard to pick it up but it wasn't.

The only part of this book that I was slightly disappointed with was the fact that this book was approximately 200 pages less than its previous two in the series.  I am not sure whether this was deliberate or just circumstances made it smaller but I would have loved a bit more to this story.  I am hoping the next book in the series is longer...



0 comments: