9 Jan 2018

,

Book Review / The House at the Bottom of the Lake by Josh Malerman

Both seventeen. Both afraid. But both saying yes.

It sounded like the perfect first date: canoeing across a chain of lakes, sandwiches and beer in the cooler. But teenagers Amelia and James discover something below the water’s surface that changes their lives forever.

It’s got two stories.

It’s got a garden.

And the front door is open.

It’s a house at the bottom of a lake.

For the teens, there is only one rule: no questions. And yet, how could a place so spectacular come with no price tag? While the duo plays house beneath the waves, one reality remains:

Just because a house is empty, doesn’t mean nobody’s home.


Published:     30th October 2016
Goodreads :  Click here
Series or Stand-Alone:  Stand-Alone
Source: Owned



MY REVIEW

What I liked about this book...  Well, this was an interesting read!  Basically, this story is what it says on the title.  There's a house at the bottom of a lake.  What I really enjoyed about this story was actually the two main characters who meet at the beginning of the story and are attracted to each other.  They go on a date but instead of going for dinner or going to watch a movie they take a canoe and go for a trip around the lake.  This is where they discover a cave that they can just about get through which leads them to a 'third lake'.  That is when the wierdness begins.  I was fascinated to find out what they do next and what they discover.  Truly creepy.

What I didn't like about this book...  Basically, the ending.  After all that build up and suspense to end the way it did I was left wanting more than what I was given.  I won't say too much because of spoilers but I will say that to me it appeared to be a very open ended finish, left up to the reader to decide.  Although that is great, I was just left feeling like I wanted more.  I wanted an explanation that I didn't get. 

In summary... A very weird and spooky read with an open ended finale but definitely worth a read if you like spooky reads...


0 comments: